Hello everybody, today we are going to learn how to cook chicken Spanish rice. Spanish rice usually made from white or brown rice, tomatoes, garlic, pepper, sauce, and broth. It is one of the popular dishes in Spain and with little modification in Mexico and South America. Chicken broth is the main key to this recipe however, I prefer homemade chicken stock as this will be healthy free of preservatives and low in sodium (i.e. salt). let us start making some Spanish rice.
Preparation time: 35-40 minutes
Serving: 5 persons
- Four tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Three cups chicken stock. ( as I said I prefer homemade stock)
- Three minced garlic cloves.
- Three mid-size tomatoes diced.
- two boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes.
- Two cups of rice ( I prefer Basmati rice)
- One jalapeno pepper, cut into pieces.
- Two teaspoons hot sauce.
- One mid-size onion cut into small pieces.
- One teaspoon salt.
- One teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Around 8 oz peas or peeled green beans. (check the difference here)
- One teaspoon saffron.
- In a heavy skillet, add the olive oil and the minced garlic until the garlic becomes brown.
- Add the chopped onion and continue stir for around 3 minutes or until the onion becomes golden brown.
- To that mixture add tomato, jalapeno pepper pieces and stir for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, hot sauce and fry on low heat for around 10 minutes.
- After that add the rice and stir for three minutes, then add the saffron.
- Finally add the chicken broth, mix, then add salt, black pepper, mix very well and bring all to boiling.
- When boiling starts, add the peas or green beans and simmer on low heat for around 30 minutes.