Hummus salad is one of my favorite natural protein salad based on chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Chickpeas are nutrition packed small beans, one cup of cooked chickpeas has the following nutrients:
268 calories, 12.5 grams of dietary fiber, 14.5 grams of protein, 4.2 grams of fat, 84% manganese, 71% folate, 29% copper, 28% phosphorus, 26% iron, and 17% zinc. Isn’t that really a superfood?
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Serving: 3 persons
- Three mid-size lemons, squeeze freshly to prepare around 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Three cups of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Three cups of organic Tahini
- Three tablespoons fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- Two peeled and minced garlic teeth
- One and a half teaspoon of salt (I prefer Himalaya pink salt)
- 3/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional for decoration: 3/4 teaspoon paprika, feta cheese, 1/2 cucumber (chopped), 1/2 tomato (chopped), and 1/2 lettuce (chopped)
- Wash and drain the chickpeas very well (you can use 8 Oz can), If you would like to use the dry chickpeas you need to wash very well first and then let the chickpeas in water for at least overnight, after that boil the quantity for 1.5 hours or until the beans become very soft.
- Put aside 1/4 cup of the chickpeas and minced the rest either with a fork or use the blender.
- In an appropriate bowl, add the minced chickpeas, Tahini, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and the minced garlic.
- Mix the ingredients very well, I prefer using blender in this stage.
- Pour the mixture into semi-flat dish and then add the olive oil and decorate with paprika, feta cheese, cucumber, 1/2 tomato, and lettuce.
Hummus Salad Infograph