Olá, Calzone is one of the famous Italian pizza-like food. Originally started in Napoli, then spread over all Mediterranean sea and South America. Mostly started like pizza and focaccia bread, but has enclosed dough looks like a sandwich and usually stuffed with meat and cheese. Nowadays, people replace the meat with veggies for more healthier food, it is all your choice you can substitute any ingredients as long as you keep the same taste and flavor!. Calzone usually served with marinara sauce or bolognese sauce.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Serving: 4 persons
- Two cups of flour
- Two tablespoons extra olive oil
- Two minced garlic cloves
- One teaspoon instant yeast
- One cup yogurt
- One teaspoon sugar
- One cup mozzarella cheese (you can use ricotta or even parmesan, provolone)
- Pinch of salt
- One chopped onion
- One egg, mixed very well with pinch of salt and black pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 17 Oz (0.5 liter) tomato sauce
- One-half pound (0.25 kg) salami ( I prefer turkey salami)
- In a deep pot, add the flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast.
- Add the yogurt and mix very well until you get soft smooth dough (add warm water if needed)
- Leave the dough in a warm dry place until the size is doubled (around one hour)
- Prepare the sauce: In a saucepan add the olive oil heat on medium temperature then add the onions, keep frying until the onion become golden. To the same saucepan add the tomato sauce, minced garlic, black pepper, salt, and cinnamon. Mix all ingredients very well then reduce the heat to low and keep boiling until you get thick sauce
- On a lightly floured dry surface, cut the dough into four pieces, then knead them, then rolled them with a roller.
- Stuff the rolled doughs with sauce, salami, and cheese, layer over layer. Close the dough completely over the stuff
- With a food brush, paint the top of the dough with the mixed egg.
- Add some olive oil to a baking pan then arrange your closed doughs inside that pan.
- Bake on 355F (~180C) for around 20 minutes or until all doughs become golden.