Hello, today we are going to learn how to prepare step by step Mediterranean Italian Spaghetti with Meatballs. This is one of my grandma recipes, she used to make that for the family gathering, I love it. As I am always looking for healthy ingredients, I use mostly organic, and I chose my meat very carefully, however, these options are up to you. Let us start!
Preparation time: 80 minutes
Serving: 6 persons
A) Spaghetti Sauce
- Around 6 oz (150 g) tomato sauce.
- Five minced garlic cloves
- Five mid-size tomatoes, peeled and cut into cubes. (you can use diced tomatoes, however, I prefer freshly prepared diced)
- Two teaspoons salt
- One teaspoon fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- One mid-size onion, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- One pound (1/2 kg) ground beef.
- One large egg, beaten
- One tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- One bay leaf
- One cup of breadcrumbs ( I use organic, and you can use whole grain if you like)
- Around 2 pounds (1 kg) of spaghetti, I use Barilla, but you can use whatever you like.
- One tablespoon of parmesan cheese.
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper ( I prefer freshly ground)
- Meatballs: In a large bowl, mix very well the ground beef, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, black pepper, garlic, and egg. use your hand makes small balls around 2 inches each, ( you may make 12 meatballs with this amount of meat), close the bowl with aluminum foil and keep them in the fridge.
- Sauce: In a mid-sized saucepan, turn the heat on medium, then add the olive oil, onion, and garlic saute over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes, then add diced tomatoes, salt, and bay leaf. Reduce to low heat, simmer for around 30 minutes, stir from time to time. by the end of 30 minutes, you should have a thick sauce, otherwise, if the sauce becomes too thick add some water.
- After that, add the meatballs, mint leaves, and black pepper to the sauce, mix gently, cover the sauce pan and keep cooking for around 30 minutes or until the meat cooked very well.
- Spaghetti: In another pot add around one liter of water, one teaspoon of salt, and one teaspoon olive oil, let it boil, then add the spaghetti, stir for few minutes. check the youtube below for perfect pasta.
- In a large plate put the meatballs in the middle, then circle them with spaghetti, decorate with fresh mint leaves.